The University Library provides the following services:
Reference and Students Support
This involves the personal and professional assistance provided to library users seeking information from the Library System. The users are assisted in person, by telephone, live chat or email.
The specific services provided include:
The Section organises proficiency courses including computer assisted learning programmes on difficult subjects that the students have challenges such as Mathematics, Sciences, Information Technology etc.
Reading and Learning Habit Support
The Section organises programmes that will enhance reading habits of the students eg. Readerthon
There is a counselling system in the Library to support students with special needs.
Orientation and User Education
This service involves developing instructional programmes designed to teach and assist library users on how to locate and retrieve information quickly from the Library. It usually covers the Library’s system, how materials are organised, the structure of the collection and specific resources and finding tools like the library catalogue, indexes and abstracting services and bibliographic instructions.
The Library organises orientation programme for all first year and new users annually, to equip library users with skills to locate and retrieve library resources and effective use of library resources.
New faculty staff and administrative staff are also given orientation on request.
Reader Services and Circulation
The Reader services manages daily shelving of Library books/materials and ensures that Library study/ learning spaces are available and ready for use.
Electronic Support Services
The Library’s Electronic Support Unit assists users to use the Electronic information resources. It also provides computing facilities such as desktop computers, internet, printing and scanning services. The specific services provided include:
- Request for literature searches and articles
- Inter library loans
- Computer assisted learning
- Software installation
The Digital services include the management of the Institutional Repository and other digitisation activities. The Unit also manages the social media sites of the Library.
Research Support Services
The Learning and Research Support Section provides research support for teaching, learning and research activities of the University. They engage with the research community to support and promote innovative learning and high quality research that attracts global visibility. The Section provides the following specific services:
- learning space for research purpose (Research Commons)
- collaborates and connect students and faculty members on research projects.
- research data/outputs management.
- training on information literacy skills and the use of e-resources and turnitin.
- assists in identifying scholarly publishing avenues.
- offers assistance on open access and intellectual property.
- assists in metadata, archiving and digitisation.
- scholarly information to support research works
- promote and support user independence through innovative learning.
- provide literature searches for research works;
- provide print/scan/copy services
Distance Learning Library Services
The Distance Learning Library Services section provides services to the Distance Learning students and academic staff. Some of the specific services provided include:
- access to electronic information resources (E library plarform)
- research support services for students and faculty on the Distance Education mode.
- literature searches for Distance Education students and faculty.
- information literacy instructions for students and faculty on the Distance education model.
- connect with students through interactive platforms (WhatsApp, E-mails, SMS, Facebook, and twitter) to offer library and information services.
- assistance on open access, intellectual property and publishing.
- orientation programmes for fresh students.
- facilitate online chats with librarians (reference assistance and instructions/Ask a librarian)
- Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI).
- update students on available resources and services for a successful programme.
- aid distance learning students and faculty to register for online off-campus access to electronic resources such as online databases.
- work closely with the College of Distance Education to achieve its mandate.
- work with relevant partners and stakeholders to set up physical libraries at the various centres of the College. This will give Distance Learners residing in such areas an additional option to access the E-Library resources.
The technical services provided by the University Library System include:
The Photocopying unit located on the lower ground floor (basement) of the Library, provides reprographic services to Library users at a minimal fee.
The Bindery unit performs the in-house treatment of mutilated, worn out and damaged materials to ensure the longevity of library materials. The Unit also provides support for materials that are not easily shelved without damage. In addition, the Unit does binding of journal issues or newspapers to make them easier for library staff and users. The Unit renders commercial services at a fee for books, dissertations and theses and other documents.
Persons with Special Needs Services (PSNS) Section
The PSNS has three laboratories, two are located at the lower ground floor, and one at the right hand side corner of the ground floor. The Section provides library and information services to persons with special needs to enable them have equal access to information for academic, social, and professional life.