Departments of Client Services (DCS)
The Department of Clients Services consists of four sections:
- Reference and Students Support,
- Reader Services and Circulation,
- Persons with Special Needs,
- Satellite Libraries.
An important component of DCS is faculty liaisons. This component includes direct contact with the respective academic departments and individual Academic Librarians to promote awareness of library, collections and services.
To become the driving force in ensuring accessibility, inclusiveness, and satisfaction in the Library’s information provision to all persons with varied information needs.
To commit the human and material resources of the Library to the utmost satisfaction of clients in all areas of their information needs.
The Department seeks to render diverse and innovative services to meet the unique information needs of library clients, and periodically evaluate its resources and services to remain relevant to the changing needs of users.
Department of Collection Management and Technical Services (DCMTS)
The Department of Collection Management and Technical Services is a division of the Library responsible for the development and management of library collections as well as technical services of the Library. The Department has four (4) Sections and five (5) Units. The sections are
- Preservation and Curriculum Support,
- Cataloguing, Bindery and Photocopying Section,
- Periodicals Section,
- Special Collection Section.
The Special Collection Section also has three units:
- the Gallery Unit,
- Africana Unit and
- the Development Information Unit.
To be a Department that will ensure effective collection development and management activities through upholding internationally accepted guidelines and standards that will make available and accessible materials with relevant information.
To acquire, process, preserve and disseminate information sources in line with prevailing international standards that will promote quick access and exchange of current, authoritative and, accurate information.
The DCMTS shall:
- ensure that major stake holders of the Library are involved in the selection of books and electronic resources of the Library.
- ensure balance of information resources for all academic programmes offered by the University
- effectively manage and preserve the library’s information resources
- provide accurate and timely information resources
- facilitate quick and easy access to library materials.
- cater for the longevity of information sources.
Department of Information Technology and Research Support (DITRS)
The Department is responsible for managing the Information Technological infrastructure of the Library for optimal functioning of all its services and resources. The department works in collaboration with the Directorate of ICT and conforms to the ICT policy of the University. The Department comprises four (4) sections:
- Library Information Technology Infrastructure Support Section,
- Learning and Research Support Section,
- Electronic Resources Management/Digital Services
- Information Literacy Section and Distance Library Services Section.
To use technological innovations to support academic work, scholarly research, and services of the library to meet global standards.
To enhance scholarly pursuit of knowledge by providing quality and timely access to needed information using technology.
The Department shall provide an innovative learning and research environment equipped with technological resources and facilities that inspire interdisciplinary research. DITRS shall:
- strengthen the Library’s priority towards the University’s research activities
- promote and support user independence through the provision of needed ICT infrastructure.
- provide a conducive learning space for academic and research work.
- make relevant scholarly information resources accessible to the students, Academic and non-academic staff.
- provide IT support and training for staff and patrons.